We guide parents to provide the best language education for their children at home. We do this by using a Ludic Methodology, and Adaptive Learning Algorithm (Learning Gears™), a structured and diverse Curriculum and a compromise to always offer Guidance for Parents.
Five key elements of the Ludic Learning Method contribute to its success:
1. The learning is self-directed, a motivating factor for young learners.
2. Children using the Lingokids app are fully immersed in engaging language learning activities.
3. The Lingokids app is game-based, with content that is relevant, authentic, purposeful, and fun.
4. The adaptive technology adjusts to each learner’s achievements.
5. The Lingokids’ research-based program is repeatedly enhanced based on ongoing research.
Adaptive Learning Algorithm, Learning Gears™
Lingokids’ underlying technology ensures that learning is appropriate to each child’s level of accomplishment. With Learning Gears™, once an initial level is chosen for the child, the program uses its proprietary hits-and-misses algorithm to adjust the content accordingly. The child who consistently performs well will move up to more challenging vocabulary and increasingly complex grammatical structures. Those learners who are not quite ready for more difficult content will continue to practice through engaging play patterns. The adaptive technology serves as an invisible, constantly evolving, personalized tutor or coach. Additionally, you can see what your child has learned with our weekly progress reports.
In traditional instruction, content is organized into a framework called a scope and sequence. The scope represents the totality of the skills, content, and concepts to be taught. The sequence is the order of instruction, generally developed in a scaffolded approach. For example, beginning reading instruction begins by identifying the names of letters, followed by studying the letters’ sounds, followed by learning easy decodable words, such as cat, mat, and hat. Instruction builds methodically throughout the curriculum.
From its inception, Lingokids instruction was organized by “passion topics,” those topics of interest to children. The vocabulary sets include high-interest words or concepts related to family members, toys, farm animals, and other popular subjects. In addition, each thematic topic in the Lingokids program stands alone, allowing individual users to choose among topics of interest.
As the program expanded, the need for a more sequenced approach became clear. Thus, the Lingokids Curriculum was developed. In the classroom, teachers are encouraged to follow the sequence of the curriculum. However, students using the app individually are allowed to progress and play at their own pace. Students may repeat content at will, fostering internalization of vocabulary and skills. Teachers have the choice of more structured learning experiences as well as personalized instruction.
The Lingokids Curriculum gives children the tools to understand the world around them in English, starting with the things closest to them and then progressing to more worldly concepts. For example, children are first exposed to familiar concepts: colors, numbers, toys, family members, body parts, and pets. As children advance through the curriculum, they expand their English knowledge from foods, emotions, and routines to wild animals, vehicles, and even outer space!
Features of the Curriculum
- The curriculum is organized around 60 topics, and each topic focuses on the instruction of five to ten key vocabulary objectives. Throughout the lessons, children also gain exposure to grammatical structures and hundreds of useful support words.
- The Lingokids methodology is based on self-direction, immersion, and learning through play.
- The engaging content encourages repetition, essential for comprehension and retention of the learning objectives.
Components of the Lingokids Learning Program
- Interactive writing exercises: letters, numbers, shapes, and words
- Printable worksheets
- Recommended family activities, recipes, and extensions
- Formative and summative assessments
Foundation of the Lingokids Learning Program
The Lingokids Curriculum was developed based on the following:
- Standard preschool and kindergarten curriculum from around the world
- Best practices for beginning ESL instruction
- The Common Core State Standards Initiative (U.S.)
- Early Learning Standards in key U.S. states
- Passion-based content topics
- Proven instructional strategies
- The Ludic Method (self-directed learning, immersion in content, game-based activities, relevant content, adaptive technology, research-based and evolving instruction)
- The Lingokids Character Bible
- Formative and summative assessment methodology
The Lingokids Board of Educators
The Lingokids methodology is guided by our prestigious Board of Educators. Our board members come from diverse backgrounds in the field of education with expertise in literacy instruction, vocabulary development, child psychology, ESL instruction, and educational technology.
The quality of Lingokids content is backed by board members’ experience in educational products including LeapFrog and Sesame Street, as well as academic experience as former Dean of Education at University of Berkeley and distinguished professor at University of Kansas.
Guidance for Parents
Lingokids is fully committed to guiding parents through their children's English learning experience. You have a variety of resources to go to and get useful tips and advice:
To extend the learning, Lingokids offers a variety of resources, including printable coloring exercises, songs and lyrics, and Parent Guides that include vocabulary lists, activities for practicing phrases and sentences with your child, arts & crafts, and other activities. You can find all these materials here.
Find tips and tricks for parents and their young learners, craft ideas, learning guides, and much more! Follow our blog here.
We also invite you to check our Facebook community, where we share updates about Lingokids and fun ideas for home activities. Join the conversation here on our Facebook page!